Friday, September 4, 2009

Sucker Punch

I wasn't planning on writing anything about the games that were on last night. Yes, I watched the defensive struggle (or really offenses struggling) through the snooze-fest that was NC State and South Carolina. And while I always love a Boise State home game with their crazy blue field, the game wasn't as competitive as a 14 (Oregon) vs 16 (Boise) should be. Plus, the Patriots/Giants game was your typical no-starters, no-name 4th preseason waste of time. But I was saving any thoughts on actual football for games I care more about (coming this weekend).

And then this happened: Oregon's running back threw a punch at a Boise player, and needed to be restrained by the police. They're reviewing the tape for disciplinary action. ugh.

This isn't the first fight in a game, and I'm sure it won't be the last. But it really deflates the first day of the season for me. Especially after hearing that the players in one of the games I am most looking forward to this week, Oklahoma State & Georgia, won't do a pre-game handshake for fear of violence. When I first read the headline, I thought it was going to be some over-cautious swine flu prevention gimmick. Then I got a little excited because it meant the players were so pumped about the game they were worried they couldn't control their emotions. In fact, when I tuned in to the Boise State games, the announcers said there had been some words between the two teams in warm-ups. And I was ready - here is the passion that the NFL lacks, that makes NCAA football so exciting.

That passion is one of the reasons I love college football, but when the players can't control it, especially when the game is winding down and they feel the need to throw a sucker punch, it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I know the players are college kids and not professionals, but at 18, you know better. Angry you're losing? good. Throwing your helmet to the ground on the sideline? understandable. Knocking over some Gatorade because your National Championship dreams are crushed during week one? I get it. But throwing a punch off the field, when the game is over? That's unacceptable. Even Pop Warner kids know that.

And I haven't even started on the guy he hit, Boise State linebacker Byron Hout. Why taunt a team that you've just beaten? Have some class. The game wasn't close. You embarassed them enough on the field. Oregon didn't even get a single first down in the first half! Isn't that enough for you?

Ok, enough of that. To end on a better note - who goes for 2 of the first touchdown of the season? Boise State does! Should we expect anything less? Not from these guys.

1 comment:

WillyP & me said...

For some reason I love me a hockey fight but can't stand to see it anywhere else. As for pop warner... did you hear about the Lynn kids who almost beat a man to death? Sickening! Just play the game BOYS.