Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Preseason Planning - Part One

The NFL is halfway through its preseason, which means its time for me to start mine. You see, I like sports more than your average person, almost all sports - baseball, basketball, hockey, golf, soccer, anything Olympic - but I love football. I am counting down the days until my Longhorns take the field (17 days, 4 hours, 50 minutes from right now). I've had the first NFL game (which happens to feature my world champion Steelers) blocked off on my calendar since it was announced. I am giddy just thinking about it.

To prepare for the upcoming football season there are 3 major things to do - check my pantry, stock the fridge, and update my calendar. I wasn't kidding about blocking off the game time on my calendar. While I'll always watch a game when I'm home, I do still try and be social during the fall. Its a little more difficult up here in the north where football isn't as much of a way of life as it was in Texas. But as much as I love my friends, there are some games I will not miss. Having a BBQ the day of the Red River Rivalry? Too bad, I can't come. I'll be at home, watching the game, by myself.

Now maybe if you don't have a team you live and die with this seems a little weird, and a lot antisocial. But I've learned the hard way. I am not good company when I really care about a game. I don't listen. I yell until I lose my voice. And if my team fumbles, gives up a big score, or (God forbid) loses, I am likely to throw things at the tv, snap at anyone who tries to speak (or refuses to change their unlucky shirt/seat/face), and maybe even cry a little. So, to protect my friends and family, I'll block the big games off on my calendar and just say I'm busy. We can hang out on another weekend - maybe during the Baylor Game - when I can relax, enjoy some laughs, and worry more about running out of chips and dip than the who will win the game.

In case you're curious, here are the dates I'm busy this fall. What games make your calendar?

September 10, 8:30 pm - Steelers vs. Titans
September 19, 8pm - UT vs. Texas Tech
October 17, Noon - UT vs. Oklahoma
November 26, 8 pm - UT at A&M
December 27, 1 pm - Steelers vs. Ravens

more on preseason prep coming soon!

2 comments:

WillyP & me said...

The only football games marked on my calendar is Super Bowl and that's because you make a delectable feast!! I will say I'm looking forward to the Bruins playing on New Years at Fenway!! =D

Erin said...

Yes, I think we may need a hockey party. Unless I can get tickets...